THE PROBLEMS OF TEACHING ENGLISH STUDIES IN SELECTED PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN ADO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EKITI STATE
This project examined problems facing the teaching of English Studies in selected primary schools in Ado-Local Government Area of Ekiti State. The study answered four research questions. It is consequently importance to note that English language is unknowing practiced by every body or individual in the country. The research main purpose of carrying outs this research project is to look in to the perception of teacher as this study is expected to find out the various problems that English language pupil encounter and consequently proper solution to them. This opinions is subject to verification hence the aims of this study is to find out some of the problem and as well possible solution to them. to accomplish this, certain questions need to be asked using some selected primary schools in Ado local government area of Ekiti State as a case study.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of content
Background of the study
Statement of the problem
Purpose of the study
Significance of the study
Delimitation of the study
The Objectives of Primary School English Language
The Importance of Teaching/Learning Aids in Primary English
Population and Sample
Result and Discussion
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
Questionnaire for teachers.
The aim of every guardian sending his or her children to school is for the children to acquire education through learning.
It is the specific goal of the teacher to determine whether the stated educational objectives have been achieved by the pupils.
It is believed that the teacher is a person in the best position to measure the progress of each pupils towards the stated goals. As the pupils move through the system obviuously we find out that the opportunity of knowing the problem increases if teaching and learning of pupils is easily detected by the teachers through evaluation system.
Unfortunately, it is not easily known to the public the immediate result of the effort put on by the teachers.
It has been observed over the years by the public that English language results of the primary school leavers are now becoming worse and needs attention.
Through proper research the causes and remedies to the problems of pupils concerning teaching and learning English language in the primary schools can be discovered.
Although some parents believe that the problem of pupils learning English language is as a result of the uncared attitudes of some teachers they do not consider other factors surrounding the teaching and learning of English language such as inadequate materials and facilities, environmental factor, and a host of others.
Therefore, for the purpose of knowing the problems of teaching and learning English language in the primary schools, there is the need to collect facts from the teachers and pupils.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
English language is unknowingly learned by every body in the country.
There this makes English language a compulsory subject and necessary every where.
Although, English language is relatively new when compared with other branches of education, there has been a notion that there are a lot of problem facing pupils or students in English language department as compared to others.
The opinion is subject to verification hence, the aims of this study is to find out some of the problems and as well possible solutions to them.
To accomplish this, certain questions need to be asked using some selected primary schools in Ado-Local Government Area of Ekiti State as a case study.
- Does lack of text books affect the pupils performances?
- Does lack of English text books make teaching of English Language?
- When is the rate of pupils’ assimilation very high morning or afternoon lesson?
- Do unqualified teachers contribute negatively to the process of learning English Language?
- Do inadequate incentives contribute to ineffective teaching of English language?
- Is adequate attention paid to the teaching of English language?
- Does obtaining Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) or a University Degree English give one more competence the teaching of the language
- Does competence in the language usage enhance good performance in the subject?
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The researcher’s main purpose of carrying out this research project is as follows:-
- To look in at perception of teachers as regards problems of teaching English language in the schools.
- To look at teachers’ role towards the development of English language in their respective schools.
- To enlighten people about the roles of teachers in English language development.
- And the need for government to remunerate English language teachers adequately.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
This study is expected to find out the various problems that English language pupils encounter and consequently proffer solutions to them.
Therefore, it is the hope that this study would be useful to the following groups of people.
DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research is limited to only four primary schools in Ado Local Government Area of Ekiti State.