TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of Contents
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
Background Information to the Study
Statement of the Study
Purpose of the Study
Significance of the Study
Scope of the Study
Definition of the Terms
CHAPTER TWO: REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
Concepts of Assessment
Type of Assessment
Feature of Assessment
Concept of Business Studies
Principle of Teaching Business Studies
Factors Influencing Students Performance
The Home and Student Performance
The School Administrative Policy
Government and Student Performance
Products of the System Lacked
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
Population of the Study
Sample and Sampling Technique
Validity of the Instrument
Reliability of the Instrument
Administration of the Instrument
Method of Data Analysis
CHAPTER FOUR: DATA ANALYSIS
CHAPTER FIVE: SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
The study assessed the secondary school student’s performance in junior studies in Ikere Local Government Area of Ekiti State.
The chapter one of this projects deals with the background information to the study, statement of the problem, purpose of the study research questions, significance of the study, research hypothesis, delimitation of the study and definition of terms.
Chapter two deals with literature review and was carried out in many aspect. While chapter three deals with the research design, population of the study, sample and sampling technique, research instrument, validity of the instrument, reliability of the instrument, administration of the instrument and method of data analysis.
Finally, Chapter four presents the analysis of data and their results based on the research question formulated. Chapter five also summaries, the important and problems that associated with revenue generation in Local Government, conclusion and recommendations was focused on the problems revenue collection.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION OF THE STUDY
Revenue collection is one of the basic sources of income to Local Government. The word “Revenue” according to oxford advanced dictionary of current English means income, especially the total annual income of the state government department which collect money for public funds while the official handbook defines Local Government at local level, exercised through representative councils established by land to exercise specific power within defined act.
In the official handbooks of the reform of Local Government introduced by the Federal Government. It is the belief of government that is only through effective revenue collection that can male Local Government to develop.
It is hoped that every state of Nigeria will benefit from the continue prosperity of the country through the availability of amenities, such as electricity, adequate water supply improved transportation, health care facilities to mention a few.
To achieve the objectives, Local Government will require large financial resources. The purpose of raising revenue in Local Government and has constitutional power to collect ranges of revenue allotted.
The constitution allows the Local Government to use some element of force to collect the revenue.
The relevance of this definition are two fold, one is the Local Government has responsibilities to provide a range of social services defined by the law which established it. To provide these services exploit and tap the resources within the Local Government. The Local Government (Councillors) must work under the law with a view to fulfilling their responsibilities to the people. The performance of the Local Government services should be such that can be compared favourably with other Local Government.
The social services include, surface and concrete drainage, roads refuse collection and disposal properly maintained and equipped primary schools building, well built and maintained modern markets standard motor park and recreational facilities to mention a few.
The financial resources available to Local Government are not commensurable to her position and this has greatly hampered distribution of the social services to the people.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
This project attempts to find out:
(1) The problems associated with revenue collection in Local Government especially Akure North Local Government with intention of offering solutions which can help in solving the problems.
(2) To find out the factor militating against the effective revenue collection.
(3) To find out if the Local Government is praying its role in revenue collection.
(4) To stress the need for proper collection of revenue.
OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
It has been said that there are some problems associating with the revenue collection in Akure North Local Government, therefore, the researchers work aim at:-
(1) Identifying some of the problems of revenue collection in Local Government of Nigeria especially in Akure North Local Government.
(2) Showing the effects of these problems in the Local Government. especially in Akure North Local Government.
(3) Suggesting the possible solutions to the problems.
The following research questions are formulated for the study.
(1) What are the problems associated with revenue collection in Local Government?
(2) What are the effects of non collection of enough revenue?
(3) Is there any other ways of collecting revenue?
(4) How can revenue collection be improved?
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study in conducted in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State. The outcome of the study will be of great benefit to the Local Government to enable them to know the problem associating with the revenue collection as well as suggesting possible solutions to the problems. It will equally enable the Chairman of Akure Nourth Local Government to realize the right role he can play to step down the problem of revenue collection.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study Area is Akure North Local Government, Iju/Itaogbolu, Ondo State with headquarter at Itaogbolu. Akure North Local Government was on October 1st, 1996 by the Late General Sanni Abacha. The study area was carried from the old Akure Local Government new Akure South Local Government.
Followed the announcement Chief Olusola Adeyo was appointed as the sole administrator. Engineer Olaniran Jogbodo was the first elected executive chairman of Akure North Local Government.
Geographically, Akure North Local Government Area is bound in the East by Owo Local Government Area, in the North by Ikere Local government Area in the South by Akure sourth Local Government Area respectively.
The entire Akure North Local Government Area is part of the Yoruba kingdom the people speak Yoruba language disjoined by various local dialects. There are twenty towns and villages inn the study area they are: Itaogbolu, Iju, Obaile Ijapo Estate, agamo, Ilu-titun, Okitipupa, Aiye, Igbokoda, Ilado, Obatedo Eleyowo, Alayere etc.
At its inception Akure North Local Government has the major aims and objectives of satisfying the people by:
(1) Providing education for the people by the building schools at primary level.
(2) Providing urban transportation
(3) Constructing roads and also repair damaged one
(4) Building of health centres, hospitals and clinics, providing drugs in the health centres.
(5) Providing recreational facilities like swimming pools amusement park etc.
(6) Engaging in law and order.
(7) Providing licensing office
Akure North Local Government has a total land area of 200 kilometres, the type of land found in the study area is loamy, sandy and clay soil the land is very rich for agriculture purpose.
The study area is blessed with good vegetation which enables the practicing of agriculture which from the main stay of the economy of the people among the cash area cocoa, kolanut, timber and coffee etc. while food crops included yam, cassava, maize, vegetable plantain and oranges e.t.c.
The people of the Local Government like other Yoruba race have the same culture and festivals such as Ogun and Egungun. The festivals are usually observed yearly which normally attract people from far and near.
The study area has about 10 primary schools and 15 secondary school, one staff Local Government training schools and police college.
Akure North Local Government has about ten health centres. However, there are some private hospital and clinics. Many towns and villages in the study area currently enjoying rural electrification scheme. Arrangements are under way to by the people of Akure North Local Government administration.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Some technical terms that featured in this research work are defined to aid renders. They are:
(1) Revenue:- This is the amount of money which comes from any source. It can be defined also as total annual or monthly income at a state or any organisation.
(2) Local Government:- this can be defined as a public subdivision of a nation (or state in a system) which is constituted by law and has substantial control of local affairs, including the power to impose taxes or exact labour for prescribed purposes. The governing body of such and entity is elected or otherwise locally selected.
(3) Cash Crops:- These are biennial and parental crops which generates incomes to the individual or society at large e.g. cocoa, mango and kolanut.
(4) Re-creational Facilities:- These are facilities that brings refreshment to the body or mind. They can be defined as the facilities or materials set aside for games.
(5) Financial Resources:- These are supplies or stock also be defined as all the property that man than generate income thought easily.